Translate

Sunday 26 January 2014

Beginning

I am in BA.
It is summer time.
Still do not understand what is happening. I am on the other side of the world!
When landing landscape looked like Germany: square fields everywhere.
They gave a declaration to fill. Oups! How am I supposed to do this? Was not aware I need to declare my mobile phone (what model is it??? Nokia with flashlight?).
Waiting in the queue on the border, i was thinking " I do not have print of my accommodation confirmation, nor of my Spanish courses. Are they going to let me in?"
Cannot say I was nervious though, whatever happens happens.
Crossing the border was easy:
"How long do you intend to stay?"
"2 months (ish)"
"Please have your 90 days stamp in the passport"
After baggage reclaim there was a scan. That is where I would theoretically need my declaration. No, did not need it.
Taking taxi was easier and cheaper than thought.
And that is where challenges began.



Challenge #1 My phone does not work! None of the two sims! I cannot contact my host and let him know I am coming! Ok, let's get there and see what happens. I only have house number, hope it is just one house.
Challenge #2 There are 3 buzzers!!! What a shame. Trying all of them, one answers. It is my host. Happiness!
Challenge #3 The room has no windows! Actually none of the two rooms has windows, only roof window in the kitchen/hallway/living room and nothing to see except sky. And there is a dog, and the dog smells. Checking how I can cancel accommodation, will have to pay full price. Oh, well, will see what happens.
Challenge #4 Supermarkets do not sell vegetables. None of the shops I have been to do. What am I supposed to eat?
Challenge #5 Going by Subte (Tube, metro) to Florida to find my school. This street looks intimidating with half of the shops closed with bars o the windows and criminal looking guys shouting Cambio (they sell pesos for dollars). Area looks untidy and cramped.
OMG! What have I done? I hate this place! Let me out of here! I want to go back!!!
But every cafe has free wi-fi and friendly stuff (awful coffee though), I will not have a problem changing money and breaking down large banknotes, as I was warned, a Subte worker let me in for free, criminal looking lad called me "beauty" and suddenly he is less suspicious. It is summer sunday evening, weather is beautiful, it smells fresh grass and people around are playing volley and football (how can I get to football match here?), I met a girl in the queue who goes to my school (and even talked with her!), my host writes music and will start playing in the pub soon.
I am in BA, I am happy to be here. It is going to be the best vacation ever! No more challenges. Only good things.
 

5 comments:

  1. Yay! You made it to BA. It was nice reading your account of entry into BA. Almost like I was there with you walking through the experience. I don't like the sound of smelly dog. You plan to change accommodation now??

    Great to see you are making friends already! Enjoy the experience and yess.. I will be following :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cool =) even cooler at the end )) (Ira)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youhou Maria :-D So how are the spanish classes ? (sophie)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Masha, impressive experience! piwi ewe! (Dasha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...sounds like you are having fun
    Some pretty intense experiences so far
    Will be following your journey
    Have fun in BA

    ReplyDelete