Translate

Friday 30 January 2015

Week 54 Mexico City

Ok, I somehow miscounted weeks and my one year travel anniversary falls on week 54, rather then 53. Oh, well, the point is on the day 25th Jan a year ago I left UK to arrive to Buenos Aires a day after. On the day 25th Jan this year I left Colombia to arrive to Mexico city (the same day), thus celebrating my year of travels. I have my ticket back in 3 months, but I still have loads to explore before that.
I left Bogota with heavy feeling: after 2 months of not liking Colombia, I finally got it and feel like I did not do everything I could do there. During my last 10 days of travel I met wonderful and most interesting people, both Colombian and travellers, I had loads of free coffees, juices, cheese, I have been to the mountains (sic!). Now I am in my usual widthrawal that I have when I leave another country.



Mexico City
Mexico city looks exactly the same as any big city in South America: crowded streets full of all-you-need-to-buy shops with vendors shouting out what they sell, street food stalls, cars going all directions without indicating, buses with a fronth door that never closes, same salsa, Enrique Iglesias and Marc Antony from every music player, metro full of people.
Btw, about metro. It is always full. Always! Rush hour is everyhour, but the busiest it is from till 11 and from 15 till 18. Do they work here at all? The other interesing observation is a special coaches for women and children. From one side, it is very considerate, from the other seems like discrimination. I cannot decide.
Metro of Mexico citu


Mexico smells. Badly. Of course, there is also smell of tortillas, tacos and whatever street food is - I have very limited knowledg of it! But mostly it smells sewage, rotten meat, WC, etc.
Mexico is a green city: many parks where people run in the morning, many trees in the streets, huge park-forest surrounded by museums west of the center.
Volcano!!!

Central Post Office


Mexicans are fat. OMG, they are huge. They eat enourmous amount of sugar. Mexican girls use a lot of make up. But they have very little difference with other latinos in South America: they are still short and dark skinned and study you with interest and ask the same old question 'de donde eres'.
In my stay in Mexico I tried foor, name of which I do not remember, visited a few museums, spent hours and hours in the park reading book and surfing free internet, had 5 pesos off my coffee - no change, 1 peso pff my ticket - same reason, pesos off my soup - just happenned; met alchemists who found philosophy stone, awesome moroccan traveller and Russian girl who lives in Mexico; pressed people in the metro, Moscow way, numerous times, had horrible coffee and great tea.
Frida's house

Museums I've visited: archeological site of Tlaleloco; Frida Cahlo museum, Leon Trotsky museum, archeoligical museum, museum of National hystory.

Museum of Trotsky
The most powerful for me was museum of Leon Trotsky. It is located in the house where he spent the last years of his life and where he was killed with ice axe. His ashes are in the monument in the garden. There are photos of Trotsky with Frida and her husband, with his follower, Trotsky with his family, Trotsky picking up cactuses, Trotsky fishing, Trotsky working, Trotsky dying, Trotsky a moment after he died. It is amazing how dying process is documented in photographs. Also amazing how once one of the most influencial figure of Russian history ended up growing cactuses and hanging out with leftist bohema of Mexico city. The museum. The actual house is simple: kitchen, dining room, study, bedroom, grandchild bedroom, bathroom. Nothing special, just few windows being bricked out as they faced the street and few bullet holes in the bedroom from the first assasination attempt. Some doors and windows are reinforced.The study where he was killed has really bad energy. Or I am too excitable. Anyway, as every Russian in Mexico city I had to visit Trotsky museum, the box is ticked.
Trotsky ashes are inside

No comments:

Post a Comment