Translate

Sunday 1 February 2015

End Of The Week 53, 24-25th Jan. Bogota And End Of South American Adventure

I arrived to Bogota earlier than I expected: I was supposed to spend there only one day, but I will spend there one night. As usual, bus arrived ridiculously early and I had nothing to do, just stay on the bus station waiting for the Sun to come up. Luckily, there was also wi fi, so I could book a hostel: big city, weekend, I thought it would be safer.



When I finally left station at about 7am, I could not catch a bus for almost an hour: comfortable, more expensive buses would only use authorised stops and card payment, which I did not have; stop of TransMilenio, kind of metro system, I could not find, small cheap money-based buses were full. I only was able to get in after rush hour, arriving to the hostel around 9.30am (I arrived to Bogota at 5am), still on time for breakfast.

Hostel people
I met a group of people with whom we went to dicover the city. They were two Italian guys, a Bolivian girl who looks more like German and her friend from Bogota whom she met travelling in Peru. Those two are very interesing. First, the girl, Martina. She is from South of Bolivia, but lived in La Paz and now lives in Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz has probably the most diverse crowd, so her appearance does not cause cognitive dissonance there. She is of German decent, but all her grandparents were Bolivian. She studies graphical design and travels a lot across Latin America. Funny to see people's reaction (mine was not any different) when she says she is Bolivian, she got asked a lot where she studied Spanish. She prefers rock music and even knows the Cat Empire. What it all meant to me? She is from rich immigrant's family that does not intermix with other Bolivians, her parents have enough money for her to travel. During my visit of Bolivia I have not met people like her, would be interesting to see them in their own enviroment.
Her friend is also from well off, but Colombian family (I think his name is Daniel). I would say upper middle class: well educated, travels a lot around the world, including Asia and Europe, knows history of his country, studies politycal science and economy in University in Bogota. In Colombia, as well as in Russia, military service is obligatory, but, as well as in Russia, there are ways. So he did not serve.
Italian guys are just another travellers: one came from Asia and is on his second year, another spent some time in BA working in the orphanage and sounds/looks/behaves a lot like Argentinian.

Bogota sighseeing
With this people we explored the city centre, mostly, and Museum of Gold. Bogota city center looks like city center of any other big city in Colombia: shops, crowds, street stalls with food, beggars, sometimes street artists. Museum of Gold, on the other side impressed me. I have been to similar museums in Colombia before, in Cali and Cartagena, but this one, obviously, has more variety from every region, has more explanation and section telling how all these pretty little figures were made, which was interesting. Unfortunately, my walking partners did not like it, so we left early, I came back next day to finish it off.
Streets of Bogota City Center



Authentica Cafe


Night time in Bogota
It was my last night in Colombia, and, although, I did not sleep on the bus sitting on the front row and listening to wonderful s music, I had to go out. Besides, I had few options: go with Martina, Daniel and his friend Tatiana to Salsa bar, or go on party bus with hostel. I opted for the former, expecting early night, and there were not enough people for the bus anyway.
Salsa bar appeared to be a student club, used by both student and their teachers - they occupied different parts of the club though. What stroke me is that students could not dance, they did not even follow the rhythm! (Says who?) I was back in the hostel about midnight hoping to sleep. But
But the ones who stayed in the hostel were still there, eventually they all had free entrance to the mostly-gringo club nearby, so I was forced (hmmmm) to join. As expected, it was full of gringoes, reggaeton and buzz. Some people were unconcionsly drunk, but we stayed with our group and I quite enjoyed dancing (oh, God! I spent too much time in South America!), we were back in hostel around 3.30am when club was finally closed.
At 6.30am I was wide awake. What was I thinking of? I did not sleep 2 nights now and I have my flight at night, making it 3! Although, I felt like somnambula all day, I managed to climb 1000m hill over the city that is popular destination for Colombians on the weekend (it was Saturday) and walked around La Candelaria neighbourhood where I stayed. It is nice quiet Colonial barrio with many cafes (stange flat looking croissants) and design shops. My plane was at 1am so I hanged out in the hostel sleeping in front of TV after the dark.
Central Plaza

View from Monserrat

No comments:

Post a Comment