Translate

Tuesday 20 May 2014

Week 15, Part 2. Exploring Santiago

I am back again to Santiago waiting for my flight to Easter Island on Sunday. Hostel is eeeemptyyy! Although when I came I was told there were no beds for tonight. But that is fine by me: I have plans on my own for this weekend for a change.



Friday, 09/05. Crazy day

Craziest day ever!
I went to the gym, yoga class, jazz club, explored bars and street music of Bellavista (Santiago's analogue of BA's Palermo?), met farmer with whom I volunteered, finished the day dancing and listening to improvisations in the hidden cellar bar in the hostel.
Gyms in Santiago are funny, or the one I went to definitely is: 2 floors, 1 with free weights (meaning dumbbells and 2 bench press racks) and cardio (with really good equipment!). But this is normal paying more attention to cardio equipment than to what is really useful (hehe).
Yoga was free class. While looking for the address I ran into Mario, on whose farm I volunteered a week ago. How crazy is that?? In 7mln Santiago! He promised to bring me some wine that we were making next time I am in Santiago.
After yoga and tea in completely empty hostel with English girl we went to Club de Jazz, where I was supposed to meet with Molly with whom I explored La Serena. Oldest in Santiago, where even Louis Armstrong played! On the outskirt of the city, 40 min by metro.
Reservations only, waiting list. Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh.
So instead we went to Bellavista where all night life of Santiago concentrates. Found street musucians more interesting than what was played in the bars. Salsa, dancing people, swing, drums, crazy dancing hamster and loads of bars and people.
We came back to the hostel at about 2am to find hostel staff playing hot lava (or were they dancing?) in the reception. Every friday they have bbq, which owing to lack of guests this time turned into staff-only party.
Some of them are great musicians with beautiful voices and improvisation skills, so until 5am we were listening to them playing using walls, glasses, guitar, drum and whatever could make sound.
Who would have thought that one day can be filled with such diverse activities.

I think I have no photos of this day though

Saturday, 10/05. Кладбище

День был облачный, поэтому запланированное восхождение на Сан Кристобаль отменилось. А, может, потому, что спала я только 3 часа: старость - не радость: просыпаюсь я всегда в 7.30-8, и неважно, что спать я легла в 5 утра.
Кладбище Сантьяго начинается сразу за станцией метро, которое так и называется: кладбища.
Сегодня много народу, шоколада, цветов и воздушных шаров: Сантьяго отмечает День Матери.
На кладбище тоже полно народу и машин. Кладбище вообще выглядит как жилой квартал для мертвых (ээээ как-то это неправильно звучит).



В Сантьяго есть тур через кладбище, который начинается в 10 утра и проходит через рынки. Несмотря на то, что я проснулась рано, на тур я явно не успевала. Но случайно наткнулась на него на кладбище и присоединилась к группе.
На кладбище, как обычно, много семейных мавзолеев, которые, если разрушены землетрясением, остаются, где они есть. Со всеми захоронениями: их просто сгребают в кучу. Это же частная собственность и она не может покидать пределы, а владельцы уже, возможно, в этой куче, поэтому нет никого, кто бы мог восстановить монумент. Creepy!
Много мавзолеев, которые принадлежат профсоюзам. Вот, например, итальянский, многоэтажный, с лифтом!



После тура, наконец, попробовала терремото! В ресторане тоже отмечали День Матери.



No comments:

Post a Comment