Translate

Monday 15 September 2014

Week 33-34. Into The Wild

I think I lost count of weeks... oh well.



Week 33. Caraz Dulcura

I did not want to leave such a wonderful place, but I could not walk anymore either. So the decision has been made: I am going to use workaway again!
I found a hostel in Caraz in 60 km from Huaraz and stayed there for a week painting walls, looking after English-speaking guests in the Lodge and enjoying local sweets including condensated milk, fudge, ice cream, etc.
Caraz is surrounded by beautiful Cordillera Blanca and full of nice (tall-ish) people. I became regular to a couple of places in the market and panaderias (how am I going to fit in my jeans??) Nice sleepy place.

Unexpected

One day I met Catharina, Chech girl who I met in Chile. It was completely unexpected as I would have thought she'd be long gone. This is type of crazy things that always happen when you travel.
Catharina is hardcore trekker, she was just back from one (short) trek to go to another. I was getting bored of staying in one place and not doing much except painting, eating, learning Spanish, watching whatever English movies we could find. So I decided to join her.
The only problem is that all my trekking gear was in Huaraz. So one beautiful (early) morning I ran to Huaraz. Well... I could not get too far: the road 15 mins from Caraz was blocked by miners, so combis would only go to the bridge - then walk - then catch another combi.
Walk, I was told, would take 10 mins. It took 40 and I was walking fast. I was the only (and angry) gringa walking, so it caused excitement among the miners (Hey, gringa!). On the way back though I was called Guapa - promotion!

No Pasaran!

As one can understand, even with all my running I could not get back to Caraz before noon, so we decided to postpone the start of the trek until the next day.

Week 34. Santa Cruz trek

Finally on Tuesday, 9/9, we left for Santa Cruz trek! I have not done rucksack trekking since Chile! It was beautiful and so exciting to come back to the mountains. The trek was quite easy to walk and we did it in 3 days (tour groups usually take 4 days). There was just one 4700m pass that took us 2 hours (arriero told us 4 making us a bit nervious as it was afternoon). We have seen a full moon over snow peaks - no photos, shitty camera, were very lucky with the transport back (although had to squeeze to small Peruvian-size combi) and spent another day close to Laguna 69. Although weather got worse and we could not leave the tent until midday.

Trekking gear

Walking partner


1 comment:

  1. one more beautiful place ! You have a tent or it was catharina's ?

    ReplyDelete