Translate

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Joy Of Trip Planning

I have decided to write a few posts about my life here: how I move, where I stay, what I eat, what I carry with myself, so you have better insight of my travel.
El Chalten was a perfect example for trip planning, as it was probably the most challenging place to plan the next move with its lack of internet. But it is pretty much the same story everywhere I go.




I knew that I wanted to go to East coast to see Welsh settlements and more wild life in Puerto Madrin, looking in Lonely Planet guidebook for Argentina, I knew the big connecting points I could use.
There is website with bus services around Argentina, but it does not have all the buses, so sometimes you need to ask at the bus terminal.
Therefore, first day we have arrived to El Chalten, I checked all 3 bus companies for destinations. I wanted to go to Comodoro Rivadavia. One company had buses there though Rio Gallegos for crazy 1000 pesos and almost a day of travelling by bad service bus (not even semi cama???).
There was a service to Perito Moreno, la ciudad, where La Cueva de los manos is, which was interesting to see. But noone at the terminal could tell me if there are connections to Comodoro from there and how I can get to the cave (100 km from the place!) And if I can.
During the night when sky is clear there is a slim chance to catch internet, so I could check that
1. There is no hotels in Perito Moreno
2. All hotels in Comodoro are waaaaay too expensive and there are no hostels
3. Buses from Perito Moreno to Comodoro leave at 3pm and 3am.

Golden rules of travelling in Patagonia:
1. Take night bus as it saves money on accommodation
2. Book accommodation in advance if you don't want to overpay or end up in the street (expensive and touristy)

My next destination was Trelew, and there was one hostel. Happiness! That is where I go. But how?
A girl in my hostel said that one of the agencies can book accommodation in Perito Moreno for 100 pesos, and that how I ended up with the plan:
1. Buy ticket for night bus to Perito
2. Book hostel there for one night
3. Find out in Perito Moreno how I could reach Trelew.

I arrived to Perito Moreno, la ciudad, at 6.30am. This is a win: I planned to be there no earlier than 9am.
Information center was already open and there were four other tourists from my bus. We were told that there is a tour to the cave today and 11am and 2pm for 400 pesos and buses leave to Comodoro at 3pm, 5pm and 3am with frequent connection from there to Trelew.
In my hostel (I could check in at 8am - another win!) with wi fi I tried to plan what would be the best wy to go. 2 options:
1. Take any time tour and go tomorrow at 3pm or even 5pm to catch 1am bus to Trelew
2. Take any time tour and leave with 3am bus, spend a morning in Comodoro and catch afternoon bus to Trelew tomorrow.
I opted out for the latter as I wanted to see Comodoro (oil capital of Argentina with petroleum museum?).
Of course, this option sort of did not require hostel, but bus terminal here is poor and I like the adea of taking hot shower and having a place to sleep until 2am. They do not serve breakfast anyway, so I do not lose anything.
No I have a plan until end of this week, I bought my ticket to Comodoro, once there I can book my Trelew bus and I made reservation for 2 night there. All done now.
And that is how it is all the time. Even having internet does not really help with buses and there was no way to find out about cave tour anyway. I always enjoy this part of the travel: coming to a new place and looking for information. It is kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment