Translate

Monday 17 March 2014

Week 7. Due South

This week is all about nature, Patagonia, hiking and cold.




Monday, 11/3. Walking in fire

Tierra del Fuego national park is just 20 km away from Ushuaia and the 2nd local attraction after Antarctica cruises.
There are a few short hikes accessible to the public. The rest of the Park that Argentina shares with Chile is closed for tourists.
I did not like the place as much: it is just lakes, mountains covered in snow and quirky forest (I am spoiled!). And impossible deep silence. Не знаю, как сказать по-английски, звенящая тишина.
If in Iguazu jungle forest silence is full of sound: insects, birds, animals... here is nothing. Dead silence. No birds, no whispers, not even wind in the trees. Absolute silence.
At least I could hear myself.



Tuesday, 11/3. Road to Chile
Spent all day on the buses, ferries, crossing borders to go to Torres del Paine for trekking!
Apparantely, my bus sleeping disorder is general for all the travellers, so I rename it to traveller's somnia (сонница путешественников). This desease is yet not fully researched, but here are some of the symptoms:
1. The patient falls asleep on the transport max 30 mins after departure, no matter what time of day it is and how well he slept the night.
2. The patient sleeps all journey, wether it is 1 hour or 21 hours.
3. The patient sleeps in any conditions: uncomfortable seats, loud children, sun in the eyes.
4. The patient wakes up 5 mins before food is served without warning.
Side effects
Only one eye used in rare occasions to enjoy the scenery around and note how beautiful it is, willing to wake up, make photo, etc. The only chance to do it if meal is served and patient is half awake.
According to my estimation, 70-90% of travellers are infected. I will keep investigating.



Wednesday, 12/3. Packing

Today was spent in preparation for a hike: renting equipment, buying food, looking for warm cloth....
In the shop found waitrose food and felt obliged to share with FB. I don't usually do it. That is how an indian-american girl that I met in Salta found me. Had dinner with her after crazy day of packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment