Translate

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Week 26 Continues. Machu Picchu

Saturday, 26/07. 6 months of travel

The reason I cam to South America:
1. Uyuni (checked!)
2. Machu Picchu
It took me exactly 6 months to get to Machu Picchu. On 6-month anniversary of my trip I climbed the mountain where Incas built the town where they did not live.



We started at 4am to be on the top first in the line. We climbed over 2000 steps up in a complete dark. We were in the first row and at 6.15am, few minutes after the gates were open we were inside.
It was long and tiring day full of climbing (another thousands steps to Machu Picchu mountain to make 'classy photos with MP', walk to Sun gates, etc), people came around 8am and disappeared in the afternoon.
We were down after 4pm, spending over 10 hours on the top!
Machu Picchi is magical, but (damn it!) It did not impress me. I guess I saw too much and summiting 6000m were more memorable.
However, I met awesome people and got my not-very-classy (I should have checked before!) MP photo.


Sunday, 27/07. Aguas Calientes

I stayed in Aguas Calientes for another day after all my group had left in order to climd another mountain with good views of MP. But the mountain was closed as the road was destroyed by falling stone. Oh, well, I just relax then.
French girl from another group had bus in the afternoon this day, so we met for breakfast in French bakery.
This was best coffee and my first pastry in 6 months.
I had lunch on the market with what they call here Russian salad (beetroot and onion) and head back to Cusco on the last train.
Railroad to Cusco
Monday, 28/07. Back on the road

After almost 3 weeks in Cusco I am heading to Arequipa to see Colca canon and climb some volcanoes.
I spent a day saying goodbyes to everyone I had to know in Cusco. Amazing amount of people: Japanese in my hostel who stay in Cusco forever to learn makrame, ownerness of travel agency who invited me for coffee to tell her life stories, owners of the hostel who were always so worried about my wellbeing and security...
I took not the cheapest bus to Arequipa, but surely very secure: they took our fingerprints and checked luggage with x-rays. At least I know that my racksack will arrive: I met a couple whose bag were stolen/forgotten so did not make it to Arequipa. Dreadful.

No comments:

Post a Comment