Translate

Friday 29 August 2014

Week 31. Best Decision Ever

8 days, 8 high altitude passes, 120 (ish) km, 7 nights in a tent wrapped in liner, fleece and 2 sleeping bags - this is Huayhuash trek, considered (by local papers at least) as one of the most beautiful treks in the world. It was absolutely amazing and stunningly beautiful.



We were 7 (or 8 with the guide): 2 french boys, Israeli couple, Ukranian-Israeli, Gulsum and myself. Something crazy happened as again there were 3 persons during the trek to speak Russian. My Russian is definately getting better now.
Together with French and Ukranian guys we made a 'fast group', we run ahead of the rest of our team and climbed every peak that would stick out at every pass while waiting for slow Israeli couple to arrive.
It was not particulary hard and, although it was the longest trek I have done so far and we had to sleep in the tents and nights were cold, so we could not stay outside after 8pm and usually would be wrapped up in our shelters by that time, and I could not sleep for 10 hours so would wake up at around 3am waiting for our guide to wake us up at 6am, I have enjoyed every minute of the trek, did not want it to finish, was veeery sad last day and tried to be as slow as possible, so the trek would last longer.
Altitude and lack of oxigen do something with my brain, so I felt excited and happy all 8 days, waking up full of energy ready to concur another nearly 5000m pass.
Coming back to Huaraz, I decided to stay here a bit longer, although it means that I probably will not be able to come back to, well, even Northern hemisphere in September as I planned. But how can I leave montains? I felt absolutely in love with them.
During this journey that lasts already 7 months and was supposed to be over by now (but well) I have seen so many things that I did not know can exist, I have learned so much (including Spanish), I do not want and I will not stop. Leaving for this trip was the Best Decision Ever. Come and join me :)




No comments:

Post a Comment