Translate

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Week 50 Continues, 1-5 Jan, Finishing The Shifts

Pretty much what it says: it was my last week working in the hostel, Anthony, Bruna and Ben went to Ecuador for New Year, most of the guests kept on on their travels. It was jus Ron, myself new argentinian and brazillian volnteers. The only thing that I can remember to stand out was New Year celebrations.



Happy New Year

I started to celebrate early: with Moscow. Finished the shift at 2pm, Moscow New Year would be at 4pm. Well, the fact that finished the shift does not imply I was free at 2pm sharp, with changeover and ongoing issues (we still were quite busy), it was more like 2.40pm. I needed to run to the shop to buy Champagne and run back to cut the Russian salad, veggies for which were boiling on the hob. There was a traditional New Year queue in the shop. Not as long as in Russia, of for Christmas though, but made me tap my foot inpatienlty.

Moscow New Year

English New Year

Although I burned my fingers and salad was still warm when I was ready, and I could bearly organize my 'table', I was on time skyping my parents 11.45pm Moscow time. We said goodbye to old year (I found a bottle of Smirnoff Ice conveniently stored in the fridge for that), listened to President's speech, panicked how I will open my bottle of Chamagne, shoot the ceiling with cork (really loudly!), met New Year in Moscow with my parents and aunt.
3 hours later it was English New Year that I needed to celebrate. This was calmer and no skyping was involved (I talked with my friend before). I just finished the bottle. Yep, standard-sized botttle of Champagne all on my own.
If for Christmas we had tamales, for New Year we had rice, something like Pilaf really. Again, it was a big group with some relatives of the owner. The funny thing was is that we all had to declare what we drink for. It took aaaaages as we were quite a big group still. Just after midnight people in the street started to burn a scarecrow that was filled with gunpowder. It means old year, with all its sorrows and problems was burned. In the middle of the road there was a big fire that started to pop and make fireworks at some point. Yep, just like that. QHSE is crying over Colombia. Then people started running around in red trousers and with big suitcases. This means that after eating 12 grapes at midnight they were trying to catch their luck and they dream about travelling. We also went out at night, but both Christmas and New Year are very family events in Colombia, so there was no that many people aroind.

New Year Crowd

No comments:

Post a Comment