Translate

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Week 39. Hiking And... Volcanoes!

After few rainy days when I fell in anabios I decided to start acting finally. Luckily, I found a whole group of people who were going to do the same 3-day hike I was planning to do, so on SUnday we set off to Quilotoa.



October 12th-14th. Quilotoa loop
Quilotoa loop is a multi-day hike that goes from village to village, so hikers can enjoy trekking in a beautiful setting, but stay in nice hostels with food and hot water and comfy beds overnight.
We (couple from England, couple from Holland, Australian girl Lindy and myself - 6 in total) started with Quilotoa crater - lake in the volcano crater that is suppposed to be 'one of the most beautiful view in Equador'.
We were extremely lucky with the weather: it was raining for a few days before, but when we started our 3-day hike, we barely saw the rain, it was nice and sunny. Very unusual for this time of year. That gave us with Lindy hope that Cotopaxi will be the same. We were planning to climb it together once we are back to Latacunga.
The hike was beautiful and very easy: so Unusual to hike at lower altitude (3500m I think). We stayed in the hostels on the way that for 12$ included:
Private shower with hot water
Delicious dinner with vegetables (of course: only foreigners do the loop - hostel's owners are aware of their vegeterian preferences
Huge breakfast
Wi-fi(!) On the first noght
Ping-pong and pool
Are we in the middle of nowhere? Or is it the best hostels in Ecuador?
Ok, now the hard and funny part: the English couple is from Bristol. He is an engineer working for Rolls Royce. His friend who used to work there now works for SLB. O it happened, she worked in my team when I was with max6. Absolutely crazy: in the middle of nowhere I meet someone who knows someone from my previous life. Such a small world! Now I know all embarassing stories about her. Hehe.

Quilotoa crater

Views on the way





October 15th-16th. Cotopaxi winds

As we came back from the loop, we have booked our climb to Cotopaxi for the next day so we do not lose good weather. We left next day and after Chinese food for dinner form Chifa (the most unusual dinner on the cimb), we tried to sleep for about 4 hours in the tent that because of the wind (damn it!) was set in a dinner hut. At the same time as us Cotopaxi was climbing at least another 4 groups: 2 guys from our hostel and a big group of French tourists.
After 'breakfast' at 10pm, we got in the car to drive to a parking under the refugio (which is closed as well as at Chimborazo). At around 11pm we started ascent and reached glacier at about 1pm, which was following the plan.
It was first time when Lindy used crampons, so her walking (she was walking behind the guide, I was the last one) was funny. Cotopaxi slope is steeper than any other I climbed so far. High winds and soft snow did not help either. We were all covered in ice and stopped a lot, so we were walking quite slow. Our guys started an hours earlier so we did not see them, but french tourists were around all the time: we would overcome them, then they would come closer.... About 1/3 way up we saw the first tourist descending. We continued our way up.
At some point it was just us and it took me time to realize that all french tourist turned back.
There was a part of the way where snow storm was horrible: high wind in our face with snow, my one eye almost froze, I tried to put goggles on, but they would freeze as well, o I could not see.
It was 5550m (according to our guide) and 6am in the morning. We were having a break behind a snow wall so there was no wind.
Our guide said it would take us about 3 hours to climb to the top and the wind is going to be even stronger. We decided to continue.
It was a narrow path on a steep slope. The wind was into our face, I could not open my eyes because of the snow. Lindy was just lying down on this slope and would not move forward. Our guide commanded to turn back.
He explained us that we can continue if we like, but we probably will not have energy to come back then. The decision was made: we are going down.
It was long walk back, the wind would not stop for a moment. The Sun was out so ise on our cloth started to melt. I could see drops of water falling from my hard hat.
At around am we were down, got into the car and came beck to Latacunga at 10.30am.
Here's the story of the second failed summit.
I think it is a sign for me: Ecuadorian volcanoes do not want me to climb them. At least for now. No more, I thought going down Cotopaxi.
It also showed that not all ascends would be nice and easy: mountains can be hard and challenging. I think, although I was more tired on Huyana Potosi, Cotopaxi was the hardest climb I had.
I have to come back another time to concure them!

Cotopaxi


Before the descent

Quito


No comments:

Post a Comment