Translate

Friday 24 October 2014

Week 39, Part 2. Off The Beaten Volcanoes Trek

I have done everything I wanted in Latacunga, so I finally (after a week spent there and around) left heading North. Before going to Quito, I wanted to visit a few small places where no that many tourists go to see yet even more volcanoes.



October 17th-18th. El Chaupi and Las Ilinizas

My first stop was a small (really small, but with 2 hostels!) Village of El Chaupi 5 km from volcanoes Las Ilinizas, Sur and Norte. Unfortunately, to climb them I would need a guide, even Norte that does not have a snow peak. As they are both under 5200 m and are ususally used as acclimatization hike, I decided I do not want to spend money to climb them: it is only 3 hours walk up for 80$! Especially with my luck!
;so I woke up early (well as usual) next morning and started walking to the refugio.
I read that the walking is boring among the farm land, but I found it beautiful and relaxing. It was early, so I hit 'rush hour': milk trucks were going there and back collecting milk from the farmers.
Of course, I eventually got lost (misundersandiing with locals), ended up in private property, climbed a hill there, made photos of Ilinizas and heded back to the village without reaching a refugio (I assumed the view would be nicer from my point).
Back in the village I found out that it was a day of Lasso competition, so I stayed for a bit to watch it and early afternoon left for my next stop: Machachi, where I hope to climb volcano El Corazon, 4600m, no snow, so can be hiked without a guide (freebe!).

Country road

Las Ilinizas

My companion

Lasso competition


October 19th. El Corazon and Liza is back!

It is winter time in Ecuador so it is raining a lot. But mornings are usually clear and sunny. This was one of the reasons I started early yesterday. Today plan was the same: wake up and go to the start of El Corazon walkway early in the morning to be able to enjoy the Sun.
But guess what? It was cloudy and foggy at 8am when I started. I still got a taxi up to the mountains, from where it was supposed t be only 3 hours hike. I started walking, but could not see anything at all, so foggy it was!
I waited for half an hour to see if it clears up. It did. A little. But the grass was wet, all volcanoes on the other side were still covered in clouds, I still could not see El Corazon. So I turned back.
I cannot believe it! Ecuador just does not want me to climb its volcanoes!
I met nice local women though on my way back, we chatted about hard life of farmers in Ecuador, got a lift with their neighbours and I got a bus back to Machachi to go to Sunday market.
I bought fresh cow milk there! Had loads of free food samples and other... food, came back to the hostel to wait for Liza.
Liza was coming back from the jungle and we agreed to meet in Machachi to continue wherever together.
Wherever would be Quito, but it'll be another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment