Translate

Friday 10 October 2014

Week 35, Part 2. La Costa Peruana

After a month in Huaraz I finally made my way to the coast. I did not want to go: I would prefer to cross the border through mountains as it is less touristy. But there were 2 reasns why I should go
1. There are 3 parts of Peru: la selva, la sierra y la costa, all very distinct with different people living there. Needed to see all of them.
2. Liza, Russian girl I met in Huaraz was about to leave Mancora for Ecuador.



17-19/09. Surf and party

Mancora is a small fishing village that became very popular with surfers and is now one of the main coast destination for gringos and limenos alike. All hostels here are party hostels, where guests do nothing but drink all night, and hang out in hammock all day.
I did not get the appeal: narrow stretch of dirty sand instead of beach, the place remains poor fishing village outside of the main avenue that is full of fancy cafes and japanese restaurants.
I stayed in a hostel, where Liza worked. They were having irate party the day I arrived, however, after 2 very busy days and sleepless nights I was too tired to stay awake and slept in. I did not even hear the party!
Next day I spent exploring Mancora and its small market in search of cheap food. Nothing impressive.
On Saturday we decided to leave, but go to whale watching/turtle snorckelling first.
September is a month of whales watching along both coasts of South America, is a time when they go back to Antarctica to have babies. So we took a small boat to wander around the coast hoping to see them.
On the way we passed sea lions occupying old oil platform OIL PLATFORM! Guess what I was interested in more?

sea lions

fun stuff

We also saved a bird from plastic bottle spending al our time on this as bird was running away from us.

Saving in progress

Then it was time to go snorckelling. Hence, no whales for us.
Turtles were swimming in a small port in a neighbourhood village. They are constantly fed, so there are loads of them hanging around a pierce. They totally ignore people snorckelling in the water, and their heads kept appearing all around us. One can actually touch a turtle, maybe even ride one.

No comments:

Post a Comment