Translate

Thursday 10 April 2014

Week 11, Part 1. Lakes, Rain And Chocolate

It rained all night from Sunday to Monday! Although it was nice in cosy sitting in front of fire place in El Bolson, I wanted some action (had enough of sitting!) and escaped to Bariloche hoping I could do some hiking/rock climbing/paragliding there.





Monday 07/4. Chocolate, chocolate and chocolate ice cream

Midday after doing some planning (it is my last week in Patagonia and pretty much in Argentina!) I have left to Bariloche (2 hours by bus North) with German couple.
I rained all day. I cannot believe it can rain for such a long time (24 hours continuously)! It is depressing, so many plans for Lake District, but it seems like it is going to rain all week now.
It needed some anti-depressants and Bariloche has a lot to offer here. Main street is chocolate street. It is full of chocolate shops. All of them offer free samples (bring it on!). They also have fantastic ice cream!
One of the best shops, Mamushka, as you can tell from the name is in 'Russian' style.



Another big shop is Rapa Nui with best lemon pie ice-cream ever.

Third shop is not as good, but huge.
What? Rain? Grey sky? No hiking? Forget it: it is chocolate time!

Tuesday 08/04. Walking, walking and walking

Weather looked promising, so I went to yet another National Park to walk around the lakes. Met a French and Swiss girls on the way and joined their company.
When just over a month ago Israeli girl told me that she was tired of nature, I could not understand her. Now I do. Yes, the Park, the trees and the lakes are absolutely beautiful and we were really lucky with the weather. But either I was tired after sleepless night (had nightmares how I am coming back to Q&T and roommate snoring made me jump), or I did have enough of walking, I was not impressed as much.
After 5 hours of walking we came back to the town to have submarino (hot milk and dark chocolate plate to melt in) and piece of cake.
I went to the bus station then to buy my ticket to Mendoza on Thursday. Came back to the hostel at 8.30pm only. Almost 12 hours of walking. Exhausted.

Wednesday, 09/04. The Seven Lakes

As the weather is not brilliant, I have decided to quickly do the Seven Lakes tour and leave next day for Mendoza.
I was lucky: the weather was good, nice and sunny. Perfect autumn day, beautiful lakes, lovely (hehe) alpine-style villages.
The bus was full of old argentinian and brasilian people, we have stopped only at 3 lakes out of 8 that we have passed (ok, one is in Bariloche - I can see it from my 10th floor balcony) and spent ages in San Martin de los Andes.

Main square

Shop in San Martin:

I quite liked San Martin: nice alpine feel, colourful trees, I assume it is full of ski tourists during winter, but now it is empty and only fills in with old wondering couples that numerous tourist buses bring from Bariloche. If I had more time, I would stay there for my 'day off'.
Coming back to the hostel, I found out that it is strike tomorrow: no public transport, no school, no nothing. Damn it! I am not going to Mendoza tomorrow. Oh, well, I hope weather will be nice and I can go for another hike. I also wanted to try deer steak. So deer steak is planned for tomorrow night.

Easter is coming!

Building massive chocolate egg in the main square in Bariloche

No comments:

Post a Comment