Translate

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Week 12, Part 2. Welcome To Chile

I am back to Chile! Goodbye, Argentina, asado ( I managed to overeat it), tango, strange accent and mate. Hello strange accent, sea food and pisco.



Friday, 18/04. Part 1. Good morning, Santiago

I love walking in the city early morning: when there is no crowd, feels like it belongs to you. On Good Fiday in Santiago you do not need to wake up early to own it. Until noon it seems like it is still early morning: all the shops are closed, few cafes that are open are full of people having their brunch (I assume).
There is something in this city that I like.
In the afternoon I left for Olmue for my volunteering.

Cental Plaza

Crazy busy Central market


Friday 18/04. Part 2. Out of Service - 2. The Farm.

As usual, I was absolutely clueless what I am dragging myself into. All I knew is that it is some sort of a farm of Mario, he also has pizzeria and there is another volunteer in the farm.
Luckily, there is only one pizzeria in town that I found quite easily, although my GPS tried to mess with me again!
Mario met me there and put me on the bus to the farm, driver was supposed to tell me where to get off.
So we drove, up to the mountain, back to where I came from, then we turned off the road and drove more uphill, up and up. I was wondering if the driver forgot me. Eventually I was the only passanger in the bus, and we wer still going. It took an hour until he stopped, turned the vehicle and told me: 'Ok, we are here. Now follow this road down to the farm. Hablas Espanol? Chao'.
Down unpaved road, through the gates I found the Farm with French girl called Ana. This is it: two weeks without internet, people and civilization, only radio, Mario, his dogs in the cage and gardening. Sounds like fun!

The farm


Saturday, 19/04. Farmer girl

O.M.G.! We have huge windown without blinds. Happiness! I suffered in dark dorms with small ir no windows (except El Bolson). Now I have two big glass doors opening to the mountains to the West. Amazing!
nobody wakes up in this house befoe 9am, so I had time for myself and read the book (finally! And not in the bus).
The work started after lunch (bread and dulce de leche - oh, not again!).
We planted potatoes in the morning, had siesta after lunch (Spanish time!) and picked grape in the evening.
I am loving it! Planting potatoes feels like spring in Russia, picking up grapes - is what I dreamed of walking between bodegas in Cafayate. So far, so good.

The torture tool and Jean D'Arc-Blind hairdesser hair style

Coco nuts from Chilean Palm - from the previous day. Taste like coconut!



Sunday, 20/04. Football match.

The French girl left this morning. I am the only volunteer now.
Mario has gone somewhere yesterday night without telling us anything, so I spent this morning alone: a whole house for myself! I cooked myself healthy breakfast without white bread, picked up the rest of grapes, cleaned the house, made lunch. This is my normality! I have a routine for the next two weeks.
Mario came back in the afternoon and we went to watch football game between two local teams. The football pitch is set on the hill with beautiful views across the mountains. On its right side is a steep slope. I wonder how many balls were lost there?
The game was very entartaining with a lot of fights, traumas and dramas. I think there was 1 red card, one injury, so the team lost a player and 3 goals. Our team won (I think).
Like in Argentina, Chileans are very emotional fans: watching them was as entartaining as watching the game.
And O.M.G. I thought I can understand Spanish: they definately speak some other language here.




No comments:

Post a Comment